Sunday 14 July 2013

Nappy Cake


So another cake. In Madrid this is the present to give a baby. A wedding cake shape made out of nappies - every baby shower has one. When I went to buy the celophane paper I asked the florist if they made nappy cakes in Orkney. She gave me a funny look and said a few might still do that but they werent in fashion any more. Oh well, I was obviously out of touch. I made it anyway and took it to the Maternity Unit. The midwives squealed and said it was the only thing they had ever seen like it and wanted me to tell them how to make one. Baby James didn't seem as excited but never mind. To solve the question of the florist, it seems she thought I was asking about "nappy cakes" being what is known as a Clooty Dumpling. Right enough you could make one in a nappy (Or boxers, eh Mag?).

2 comments:

  1. Now there is a lady at our church here in EK called Wilma Scott (married to Ernie Scott who is most definitely and Orcadian) who makes towel cakes for all occasions!! She's on facebook - Wilma's nappily ever after - and her creations look fab.
    So amazing you have them too x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee hee. I know Ernie very well! Never mind the milkcart but he did used to drive the fastest avenger in the West Mainland. Off to look at cakes on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete